- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 28, Issue 2
f Deoxyribonucleic Acid Relatedness of Proteus and Providencia Species
- Authors: DON J. BRENNER, J. J. FARMER III, G. R. FANNING, A. G. STEIGERWALT, PAAL KLYKKEN, H. G. WATHEN, F. W. HICKMAN, W. H. EWING†
- Address reprint requests to: Dr. Don J. Brenner, Enteric Section, Building 1, Room B311, Center for Disease Control, Atlanta, GA 30033.
- First Published Online: 01 April 1978, International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 28: 269-282, doi: 10.1099/00207713-28-2-269
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Issue Published:
Deoxyribonucleic acid reassociation was used to determine relatedness among protei and providenciae and between these organisms and other members of the family Enterobacteriaceae. The results indicate the following. (i)Proteus mirabilis, Prot. morganii, and Providencia stuartii are homogeneous species. (ii) Prot. vulgaris, Prot. rettgeri, and Prov. alcalifaciens each contain more than one deoxyribonucleic acid relatedness group. (iii) A group of urea-positive strains previously called Prot. rettgeri biogroup 5 are, in fact, members of Prov. stuartii. (iv)Prot. myxofaciens is a valid species. (v) Protei are only distantly related to all other Enterobacteriaceae. Taxonomic revisions consistent with these observations are discussed. These include a proposal to place the currently recognized species of Proteus into one of three genera: The genus Proteus, containing Prot. mirabilis Hauser, Prot. vulgaris Hauser, and Prot. myxofaciens Cosenza and Podgwaite; a separate genus Morganella Fulton, for Prot. morganii (Winslow et al.) Yale; and the genus Providencia containing Prov. alcalifaciens (De Salles Gomes) Ewing, Prov. stuartii (Buttiaux et al.) Ewing, and Prov. rettgeri comb, nov.
Present address: P.O. Box 33276, Decatur, GA 30033.
Copyright © 1978 International Association of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-28-2-269dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-28-2-269dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
Figure data loading....