- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 28, Issue 2
f Isolation and Characterization of a Second Isolate of Streptococcus iniae
- Authors: GERALD B. PIER†, STEWART H. MADIN, SHAHEEN AL-NAKEEB
- Address reprint requests to Gerald B. Pier, Department of Bacterial Diseases, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, DC 20012.
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, April 1978 28: 311-314, doi: 10.1099/00207713-28-2-311
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Published Online:
A second strain of Streptococcus iniae has been recovered from an Amazon freshwater dolphin (Inia geoffrensis). This isolate differs from the first-described isolate in its ability to produce acid from lactose but not salicin and its inability to hydrolyze esculin. The two isolates share a common cell wall antigen that appears to represent the C polysaccharide grouping antigen of this species. In addition, there are strain-specific antigens associated with each isolate. The second strain has been designated strain BU (= ATCC 29177).
Present address: Department of Bacterial Diseases, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Washington, DC 20012.
Copyright © 1978 International Association of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-28-2-311dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-28-2-311dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
Figure data loading....