- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 44, Issue 1
f Numerical Taxonomy of Photosynthetic Rhizobia Nodulating Aeschynomene Species
- Authors: JAGDISH K. LADHA*, ROLANDO B. SO
- * Corresponding author. Mailing address: Soil Microbiology, Division of Soil & Water Sciences, The International Rice Research Institute, P. O. Box 933, Manila, Philippines. Phone: (63-2) 818 1926. Fax: (63-2) 818-2087. Electronic mail address: INTERNET: IN% “JLADHA@CGNET.COM”.
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, January 1994 44: 62-73, doi: 10.1099/00207713-44-1-62
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Published Online:
Fifty-two strains of photosynthetic rhizobia isolated from stem and root nodules of Aeschynomene afraspera, Aeschynomene denticulata, Aeschynomene evenia, Aeschynomene indica, Aeschynomene nilotica, Aeschynomene pratensis, Aeschynomene rudis, Aeschynomene schemperi, and Aeschynomene sensitiva were compared with reference rhizobial strains representing Rhizobium, Bradyrhizobium, and Azorhizobium species by performing a multivariate statistical analysis of 150 phenotypic characteristics. Eight phena, some of which contained subphena, were identified. Aeschynomene rhizobia which synthesize bacteriochlorophyll were grouped in phenon 6, which contained three subphena, while nonphotosynthetic Aeschynomene rhizobia were grouped in phena 1 and 2. Our results indicate that the photosynthetic rhizobia nodulating Aeschynomene species belong to a phenon (phenon 6) that is separate from the genera Bradyrhizobium (phena 1 to 5), Azorhizobium (phenon 7), and Rhizobium (phenon 8).
Copyright © 1994 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the International Union of Microbiological Societies
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-44-1-62dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-44-1-62dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
Figure data loading....