- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 44, Issue 2
f Identification of Lactobacilli from Sourdough and Description of Lactobacillus pontis sp. nov.
- Authors: RUDI F. VOGEL*, GEORG BöCKER, PETER STOLZ, MATTHIAS EHRMANN, DANIELA FANTA, WOLFGANG LUDWIG, BRUNO POT, KAREL KERSTERS, KARL HEINZ SCHLEIFER, WALTER P. HAMMES
- * Corresponding author. Present address: Lehrstuhl für Technische Mikrobiologie, Technische Universität München, 85350 Freising-Weihenstephan, Germany. Phone: 49 8161 71 3284. Fax: 49 8161 71 4418.
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, April 1994 44: 223-229, doi: 10.1099/00207713-44-2-223
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Published Online:
The microflora of sourdough preparations was investigated by examining the physiological characteristics, whole-cell protein patterns, and 16S rRNA sequences of Lactobacillus isolates. Strains isolated from sourdough were placed in the species Lactobacillus brevis, Lactobacillus sanfrancisco, and Lactobacillus reuteri. 16S rRNA sequences were determined for L. brevis, Lactobacillus fructivorans, Lactobacillus fermentum, L. sanfrancisco, and L. reuteri, and oligonucleotide probes for fast specific identification of these sourdough lactobacilli were deduced. The physiological characteristics, protein patterns, and 16S rRNA sequences of these organisms were compared with data for other sourdough lactobacilli and additional reference strains. Strains of a Lactobacillus species were isolated from rye sourdough; these strains may account for most of the flora in sourdough made from wheat or rye. These organisms were differentiated from other sourdough lactobacilli by their protein pattern, 16S rRNA sequence, G+C content, and physiological properties. The 16S rRNA sequence of this species was determined, and we constructed a phylogenetic tree which reflected the relationships of this species to other lactobacilli. This organism is closely related to L. reuteri. A new Lactobacillus species, Lactobacillus pontis, is proposed. The type strain is L. pontis LTH 2587 (= DSM 8475 = LMG 14187). We describe a general strategy in which a polyphasic approach was used to characterize a new species.
Copyright © 1994 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-44-2-223dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-44-2-223dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
Figure data loading....