- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 44, Issue 3
f Identification of the Staphylococcus sciuri Species Group with Eco RI Fragments Containing rRNA Sequences and Description of Staphylococcus vitulus sp. nov.
- Authors: JOHN A. WEBSTER*, TAMMY L. BANNERMAN, ROMEO J. HUBNER, DEBORAH N. BALLARD, EILEEN M. COLE, JAMES L. BRUCE, FRANZ FIEDLER, KARIN SCHUBERT, WESLEY E. KLOOS
- * Corresponding author. Mailing address: E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company, Central Research & Development, E402/4313, Experimental Station, Wilmington, DE 19880-0402. Phone: (302) 695-1613. Fax: (302) 695-8557.
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, July 1994 44: 454-460, doi: 10.1099/00207713-44-3-454
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Published Online:
Strains of a new species, Staphylococcus vitulus, were isolated from food and a variety of mammals. This species was recognized on the basis of the results of an analysis of genomic Eco RI fragments containing portions of the rRNA operons. The patterns of hybridized fragments obtained from strains belonging to the new taxon were sorted into a distinguishable cluster and were distinct from the Staphylococcus lentus and Staphylococcus sciuri patterns. The results of DNA-DNA hybridization reactions demonstrated that strains in this cluster were more closely related to S. lentus and S. sciuri than to other Staphylococcus species and yet were significantly different. While these strains had some of the phenotypic characteristics of the S. sciuri species group, the newly recognized taxon could be distinguished by its very small colonies on P agar, absence of alkaline phosphatase activity, and lack of acid production from L-arabinose, maltose, N-acetylglucosamine, D-mannose, and raffinose. The type strain of the new species is strain DD 756 (= ATCC 51145).
Copyright © 1994 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-44-3-454dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-44-3-454dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
Figure data loading....