- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 45, Issue 2
f Isolation and Characterization of a Thermophilic Sulfate-Reducing Bacterium, Desulfotomaculum thermosapovorans sp. nov.
- Authors: MARIE-LAURE FARDEAU*, BERNARD OLLIVIER, BHARAT K. C. PATEL, PREM DWIVEDI, MICHEL RAGOT, JEAN-LOUIS GARCIA
- * Corresponding author. Mailing address: Laboratoire de Microbiologie ORSTOM, Université de Provence, 3 Place Victor Hugo, 13331 Marseille cedex 3, France. Phone: (33) 184.108.40.206. Fax: (33) 220.127.116.11.
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, April 1995 45: 218-221, doi: 10.1099/00207713-45-2-218
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Published Online:
Strain MLFT(T = type strain), a new thermophilic, spore-forming sulfate-reducing bacterium, was characterized and was found to be phenotypically, genotypically, and phylogenetically related to the genus Desulfotomaculum. This organism was isolated from a butyrate enrichment culture that had been inoculated with a mixed compost containing rice hulls and peanut shells. The optimum temperature for growth was 50°C. The G+C content of the DNA was 51.2 mol%. Strain MLFTincompletely oxidized pyruvate, butyrate, and butanol to acetate and presumably CO2. It used long-chain fatty acids and propanediols. We observed phenotypic and phylogenetic differences between strain MLFTand other thermophilic Desulfotomaculum species that also oxidize long-chain fatty acids. On the basis of our results, we propose that strain MLFTis a member of a new species, Desulfotomaculum thermosapovorans.
Copyright © 1995, International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the International Union of Microbiological Societies
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-45-2-218dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-45-2-218dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
Figure data loading....