- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 45, Issue 2
f Ehrlichia muris sp. nov., Identified on the Basis of 16S rRNA Base Sequences and Serological, Morphological, and Biological Characteristics
- Authors: BOHAI WEN, YASUKO RIKIHISA*, JASON MOTT, PAUL A. FUERST, MAKOTO KAWAHARA, CHIHARU SUTO
- * Corresponding author. Mailing address: Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, 1925 Coffey Rd., Columbus, OH 43210-1093. Phone: (614) 292-9677. Fax: (614) 292-6473.
- First Published Online: 01 April 1995, International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 45: 250-254, doi: 10.1099/00207713-45-2-250
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Issue Published:
The 16S rRNA gene of a new infectious agent, strain AS145T(T = type strain), which was isolated from a wild mouse in Japan, was amplified by using the PCR. The amplimers were directly sequenced by dideoxynucleotide methods with Taq DNA polymerase. Sequence comparisons with other members of the tribe Ehrlichieae and related species revealed that the infectious agent isolated from the mouse is a new species of the genus Ehrlichia that is most closely related to Ehrlichia chaffeensis (level of sequence similarity, 97.9%), an agent of human ehrlichiosis in the United States. This result was consistent with the results of an immunoblot analysis performed with immune sera against different ehrlichiosis agents. On the basis of these findings and other morphological, biological, and serological characteristics of the organism, we propose that ehrlichiae with these properties belong to a new species, Ehrlichia muris.
Copyright © 1995, International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-45-2-250dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-45-2-250dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
Figure data loading....