- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 45, Issue 4
f Heterogeneity within Human-Derived Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Coryneform Group ANF-1-Like Bacteria and Description of Corynebacterium auris sp. nov.
- Authors: GUIDO FUNKE*, PAUL A. LAWSON, MATTHEW D. COLLINS
- * Corresponding author. Mailing address: Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Zurich, Gloriastr. 32, CH-8028 Zurich, Switzerland. Phone: 41-1-257-2700. Fax: 41-1-252-8107.
- First Published Online: 01 October 1995, International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 45: 735-739, doi: 10.1099/00207713-45-4-735
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Issue Published:
Recently, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention coryneform group ANF-1 bacteria were described as Corynebacterium afermentans, and group ANF-1-like bacteria were described as Turicella otitidis. Over a 1.5-year period 10 strains of a previously undescribed, gram-positive, rod-shaped organism that was not partially acid fast and resembled ANF-1-like bacteria were isolated from different pediatric patients with ear infections. These previously undescribed coryneform bacteria exhibited a distinct colony morphology and consistency, had a carbon source utilization pattern distinct from the carbon source utilization patterns of C. afermentans and T. otitidis, had a cell wall based on meso-diaminopimelic acid, contained mycolic acids, and had DNA G+C contents of 68 to 74 mol%. A 16S rRNA gene sequence analysis revealed that these clinical isolates are members of the genus Corynebacterium and that they are distinct from C. afermentans and T. otitidis. On the basis of phenotypic and phylogenetic evidence we propose a new species, Corynebacterium auris, for these Centers for Disease Control and Prevention coryneform group ANF-1-like bacteria. The type strain is strain DSM 44122 (CCUG 33426).
Copyright © 1995 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-45-4-735dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-45-4-735dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
Figure data loading....