- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 45, Issue 4
f Natronococcus amylolyticus sp. nov., a Haloalkaliphilic Archaeon
- Authors: HARUHIKO KANAI, TETSUO KOBAYASHI*, RIKIZO AONO, TOSHIAKI KUDO
- * Corresponding author. Present address: Department of Applied Bioiagical Science School of Agricultural Sciences. Nagoya Univerisity Chikusa, Nagoya, Aichi 464–01 Japan. Phone: 81-52-789-4086. Fax: 81-52-789-4087. Electronic mail address: email@example.com.
- First Published Online: 01 October 1995, International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 45: 762-766, doi: 10.1099/00207713-45-4-762
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Issue Published:
The α-amylase-producing haloalkaliphilic archaeon Natronococcus sp. strain Ah-36T (T = type strain) was isolated previously from a Kenyan soda lake, Lake Magadi. Most cells of strain Ah-36T occurred in irregular clusters, and the colonies were orange-red. The polar lipids of this organism were composed of C20, C20 and C20, C25 derivatives of phosphatidylglycerol and phosphatidylglycerophosphate. Phosphatidylglycero-(cyclo-) phosphate, which is characteristic of Natronococcus occultus, was not detected. The complete nucleotide sequence of the 16S rRNA gene revealed that the closest relative of strain Ah-36T is N. occultus ATCC431011 (level of similarity, 96.4%), an extremely halophilic archaeon. However, strain Ah-36T did not exhibit a significant level of DNA homology to N. occultus ATCC43101T, which represents the only previously described species in the genus Natronococcus. We describe a new species for strain Ah-36T, for which we propose the name Natronococcus amylolyticus.
Copyright © 1995 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-45-4-762dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-45-4-762dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
Figure data loading....