- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 45, Issue 4
f Reclassification of Micrococcus agilis (Ali-Cohen 1889) to the Genus Arthrobacter as Arthrobacter agilis comb. nov. and Emendation of the Genus Arthrobacter
- Authors: CATHRIN KOCH, PETER SCHUMANN, ERKO STACKEBRANDT*
- * Corresponding author. Mailing address: DSM-German Collection of Microorganisms and Cell Cultures GmbH. Mascheroder Weg 1b, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany. Phone: 49 531 2616 352. Fax: 49 531 2616 418. Electronic mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- First Published Online: 01 October 1995, International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 45: 837-839, doi: 10.1099/00207713-45-4-837
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Issue Published:
Phylogenetic evidence derived from a 16S ribosomal DNA analysis indicated that the type strain of Micrococcus agilis, DSM 20550 (= ATCC 966 = CCM 2390), is less closely related to the type species of the genus Micrococcus, Micrococcus luteus, than to the type species of the genus Arthrobacter, Arthrobacter globiformis, and related Arthrobacter species. The phylogenetic position of M. agilis is supported by the presence of peptidoglycan variation A3α and by the presence of MK-9(H2) as the major isoprenolog, a characteristic also found in strains of A. globiformis, Arthrobacter crystallopoietes, Arthrobacter atrocyaneus, Arthrobacter citreus, Arthrobacter aurescens, Arthrobacter ilicis, Arthrobacter ureafaciens, Arthrobacter oxydans, Arthrobacter histidinolovorans, and Arthrobacter nicotinovorans. The last six species and M. agilis are characterized by the presence of threonine in the interpeptide bridge of the peptidoglycan. Threonine has not been found in the peptidogiycans of other Arthrobacter species or in members of the genus Micrococcus. Despite the fact that a morphological life cycle is not known, these data support the proposal that M. agilis should be transferred to the genus Arthrobacter as Arthrobacter agilis comb. nov.
Copyright © 1995 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-45-4-837dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-45-4-837dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
Figure data loading....