- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 46, Issue 2
f Vibrio tapetis sp. nov., the Causative Agent of the Brown Ring Disease Affecting Cultured Clams
- Authors: JUAN J. BORREGO*, DOLORES CASTRO, ANTONIO LUQUE, CHRISTINE PAILLARD, PHILIPPE MAES, MARIA T. GARCIA, ANTONIO VENTOSA
- * Corresponding author. Mailing address: Departamento de Microbiología, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Málaga, Campus Universitario Teatinos, 29071 Málaga, Spain. Phone: 34-5-2131893. Fax: 34-5-2132000. Electronic mail address: JJBORREGO@CCUMA.UMA.ES.
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, April 1996 46: 480-484, doi: 10.1099/00207713-46-2-480
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Published Online:
A taxonomic characterization was carried out on strains of the bacteria that cause the brown ring disease of clams. On the basis of their phenotypic and genotypic characteristics, these strains can be considered to constitute a new taxonomic unit, distinct from other Vibrio species. The guanine-plus-cytosine content of the strains ranged between 42.9 and 45.5 mol% (43.2 mol% for the proposed type strain). DNA-DNA hybridization studies showed 100% intragroup relatedness, but levels of genetic relatedness to the reference strains of different Vibrio species tested ranged between 15 and 58%. The strains have all the properties characteristic of the genus Vibrio and can be clearly differentiated from other species of this genus by their growth at 4°C and their negative responses for growth at 30°C and in 6% NaCl, arginine dehydrolase, lysine decarboxylase, ornithine decarboxylase, and Voges-Proskauer reaction. The name Vibrio tapetis is proposed for the new species; strain B1090 (CECT 4600) is the type strain.
Copyright © 1996 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the International Union of Microbiological Societies
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-46-2-480dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-46-2-480dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
Figure data loading....