- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 46, Issue 3
f Taxonomic Study of Lancefield Streptococcal Groups C, G, and L (Streptococcus dysgalactiae) and Proposal of S. dysgalactiae subsp. equisimilis subsp. nov.
- Authors: P. VANDAMME*, B. POT, E. FALSEN, K. KERSTERS, L. A. DEVRIESE
- *Corresponding author. Mailing address: Laboratorium voor Microbiologie, Ledeganckstraat 35, B-9000 Ghent, Belgium. Phone: (32)9.264.51.14. Fax: (32)9.264.53.46. Electronic mail address: PeterVandamme@rug.ac.be.
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, July 1996 46: 774-781, doi: 10.1099/00207713-46-3-774
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Published Online:
Streptococcus dysgalactiae consists of at least five distinct subgroups on the basis of serogroups, biotypes, and hosts. A chemotaxonomic and phenotypic examination of 80 S. dysgalactiae strains representing the known diversity within this species and 49 reference strains representing all members of the streptococcal pyogenic species group revealed two subpopulations of strains within S. dysgalactiae. The name S. dysgalactiae subsp. dysgalactiae is proposed for strains of animal origin. These strains belong to Lancefield serogroups C and L, are alpha-, beta-, or nonhemolytic, and do not exhibit streptokinase activity on human plasminogen or proteolytic activity on human fibrin. The name S. dysgalactiae subsp. equisimilis is proposed for human isolates. These strains belong to Lancefield serogroups C and G, are beta-hemolytic, and exhibit streptokinase activity on human plasminogen and proteolytic activity on human fibrin.
Copyright © 1996 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-46-3-774dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-46-3-774dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
Figure data loading....