- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 46, Issue 4
f Aeropyrum pernix gen. nov., sp. nov., a Novel Aerobic Hyperthermophilic Archaeon Growing at Temperatures up to 100°C
- Authors: YOSHIHIKO SAKO*, NORIMICHI NOMURA, ARITSUNE UCHIDA, YUZABURO ISHIDA, HIROYUKI MORII, YOSUKE KOGA, TOSHIHIRO HOAKI†, TADASHI MARUYAMA
- *Corresponding author. Phone: 81-75-753-6218. Fax: 81-75-753-6226. Electronic mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- First Published Online: 01 October 1996, International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 46: 1070-1077, doi: 10.1099/00207713-46-4-1070
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Issue Published:
A novel aerobic hyperthermophilic archaeon was isolated from a coastal solfataric vent at Kodakara-Jima Island, Japan. The new isolate, strain K1, is the first strictly aerobic organism growing at temperatures up to 100°C. It grows optimally at 90 to 95°C, pH 7.0, and a salinity of 3.5%. The cells are spherical shaped and 0.8 to 1.2 μm in diameter. Various proteinaceous complex compounds served as substrates during aerobic growth. Thiosulfate stimulates growth without producing H2S. The core lipids consist solely of C25-isopranyl archaeol(glycerol diether). The G+C content of the genomic DNA is 67 mol%. Phylogenetic analysis based on 16S rRNA sequence indicates that strain K1 is a new member of Crenarchaeota. On the basis of our results, the name Aeropyrum pernix gen. nov., sp. nov. is proposed (type strain: K1; JCM 9820).
Present address: Biotechnology Research Department, Taisei Corporation, Narashino, Chiba 275, Japan.
Copyright © 1996 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-46-4-1070dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-46-4-1070dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
Figure data loading....