- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 46, Issue 4
f Proposal for Two New Genera, Brevibacillus gen. nov. and Aneurinibacillus gen. nov.
- Authors: OSAMU SHIDA*, HIROAKI TAKAGI, KIYOSHI KADOWAKI, KAZUO KOMAGATA
- *Corresponding author. Mailing address: Research Laboratory, Higeta Shoyu Co., Ltd., 2-8 Chuo-cho, Choshi, Chiba 288, Japan. Phone: 81-479-22-1180. Fax: 81-479-24-3422. Electronic mail address: LDX05744@niftyserve.or.jp.
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, October 1996 46: 939-946, doi: 10.1099/00207713-46-4-939
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Published Online:
16S rRNA gene sequences of the type strains of 11 species belonging to the Bacillus brevis and Bacillus aneurinolyticus groups were determined. On the basis of the results of gene sequence analyses, these species were separated into two clusters. The B. brevis cluster included 10 species, namely, Bacillus brevis, Bacillus agri, Bacillus centrosporus, Bacillus choshinensis, Bacillus parabrevis, Bacillus reuszeri, Bacillus formosus, Bacillus borstelensis, Bacillus laterosporus, and Bacillus thermoruber. Bacillus aneurinolyticus and Bacillus migulanus belonged to the B. aneurinolyticus cluster. Moreover, the two clusters were phylogenetically distinct from other Bacillus, Amphibacillus, Sporolactobacillus, Paenibacillus, and Alicyclobacillus species. On the basis of our data, we propose reclassification of the B. brevis cluster as Brevibacillus gen. nov. and reclassification of the B. aneurinolyticus cluster as Aneurinibacillus gen. nov. By using 16S rRNA gene sequence alignments, two specific PCR amplification primers were designed for differentiating the two new genera from each other and from other aerobic, endospore-forming organisms.
Copyright © 1996 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-46-4-939dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-46-4-939dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
Figure data loading....