- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 47, Issue 1
f Proposed Minimal Standards for Description of New Taxa in the Order Halobacteriales
- Authors: A. OREN*, A. VENTOSA, W. D. GRANT
- *Corresponding author. Mailing address:Division of Microbial and Molecular Ecology, Institute of Life Sciences. The Hebrew University of Jerusalem. 91904 Jerusalem, Israel. Phone: 972-2-6584951. Fax: 972-2-6528008. E-mail: email@example.com.
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, January 1997 47: 233-238, doi: 10.1099/00207713-47-1-233
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Published Online:
In accordance with Recommendation 30b of the International Code of Nomenclature of Bacteria, which calls for the development of minimal standards for describing new species, we propose minimal standards for description of new taxa in the order Halobacteriales. The minimal standards include information on the following characteristics: cell morphology; motility; pigmentation; the requirement for salt to prevent cell lysis; optimum NaCl and MgCl2 concentrations for growth and range of salt concentrations enabling growth; temperature and pH ranges for growth; anaerobic growth in the presence of nitrate or arginine; acid production from a range of carbohydrates; ability to grow on single carbon sources; catalase and oxidase tests; hydrolysis of starch, casein, and Tween 80; sensitivity to different antibiotics; and polar lipids. The placement of a new taxon should be consistent with phylogeny, which is usually based on 16S rRNA nucleotide sequence information, and with DNA-DNA hybridization data in the case of descriptions of new species. This proposal has been endorsed by the members of the Subcommittee on the Taxonomy of Halobacteriaceae of the International Committee on Systematic Bacteriology.
Copyright © 1997 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-1-233dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-1-233dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
Figure data loading....