- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 47, Issue 2
f Mycobacterium mageritense sp. nov. †
- Authors: P. DOMENECH†, M. S. JIMENEZ, M. C. MENENDEZ, T. J. BULL, S. SAMPER, A. MANRIQUE, M. J. GARCIA*
- * Corresponding author. Mailing address: Departamento de Midicina Preventiva, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, st/ Arzobispo Morcillo, 4, 28029 Madrid, Spain. Phone: 34-1-397 5440. Fax: 34-1-397 5353. E-mail: email@example.com.
- First Published Online: 01 April 1997, International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 47: 535-540, doi: 10.1099/00207713-47-2-535
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Issue Published:
Strains of a new species of rapidly growing, nonphotochromogenic mycobacteria, Mycobacterium mageritense, were isolated from human sputum. The growth characteristics, acid fastness, and mycolic acids of the isolates were consistent with those of Mycobacterium species. The isolates were identified as members of a new species by performing a biochemical analysis and DNA-DNA hybridization experiments, and by comparing the sequences of several conserved genes, such as the 16S rRNA, hsp65, and sodA genes. A phylogenetic analysis in which 16S rRNA and sodA sequences were used identified M. mageritense as a novel distinct species and placed M. mageritense between members of the Mycobacterium fortuitum complex and the thermotolerant rapidly growing group. Our results demonstrate that the taxonomic value of sodA sequence analysis in the genus Mycobacterium is similar to the well-established value of 16S rRNA sequence analysis.
This paper is dedicated to the memory of Ana Manrique.
Present address: Département de Génétique Moléculaire Bactérienne. Institut Pasteur, Paris, France.
Copyright © 1997 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-2-535dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-2-535dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
Figure data loading....