- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 47, Issue 3
f Helicobacter rodentium sp. nov., a Urease-Negative Helicobacter Species Isolated from Laboratory Mice
- Authors: Z. Shen, J. G. Fox*, F. E. Dewhirst, B. J. Paster, C. J. Foltz, L. Yan, B. Shames, L. Perry
- *Corresponding author. Mailing address: MIT-Division of Comparative Medicine, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, 45-106, Cambridge, MA 02139. Phone: (617) 253-1757. Fax: (617) 258-5708.
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, July 1997 47: 627-634, doi: 10.1099/00207713-47-3-627
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Published Online:
A spiral-shaped bacterium with bipolar, single, nonsheathed flagella was isolated from the intestines of laboratory mice. The organism grew at 37 and 42°C under microaerobic and anaerobic conditions, did not hydrolyze urea, was weakly positive for catalase and oxidase, reduced nitrate to nitrite, did not hydrolyze indoxyl acetate or hippurate, and was resistant to cephalothin and nalidixic acid. This is the first ureasenegative, murine Helicobacter spp. isolated from intestines. Also, Helicobacter pullorum and this bacterium are unique among the genus Helicobacter in having nonsheathed flagella. The new bacterium appears to be part of the normal intestinal flora; although its pathogenic potential is unknown, this organism was also isolated from scid mice with diarrhea that were co-infected with Helicobacter bilis. On the basis of 16S rRNA gene sequence analysis data and biochemical and phenotypic criteria, the new organism is classified as a novel helicobacter, for which we propose the name Helicobacter rodentium. The type strain is MIT 95-1707 (= ATCC 700285).
Copyright © 1997 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-3-627dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-3-627dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
Figure data loading....