- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 47, Issue 3
f Reclassification of the Crenarchaeal Orders and Families in Accordance with 16S rRNA Sequence Data
- Authors: S. Burggraf*, H. Huber, K. O. Stetter
- *Corresponding author. Mailing address: Lehrstuhl für Mikrobiologie und Archaeenzentrum, Universität Regensburg, Universitätsstrasse 31, 93053 Regensburg, Germany.
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, July 1997 47: 657-660, doi: 10.1099/00207713-47-3-657
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Published Online:
A phylogenetic analysis of all validly published members of the Crenarchaeota, including several new isolates from our laboratory, suggests three orders within this archaeal kingdom. The Thermoproteales consist of both the rod-shaped, hyperthermophilic, neutrophilic representatives of the Thermoproteaceae and the members of the new family Thermofilaceae. The Sulfolobales harbor all thermoacidophilic, coccoid organisms. The neutrophilic, hyperthermophilic cocci are members of a new order tentatively named “Igneococcales.” This order comprises two families, the Desulfurococcaceae, characterized by maximal growth temperatures of up to 100°C, and the new family Pyrodictiaceae, for which optimal growth occurs at temperatures above 100°C.
Copyright © 1997 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-3-657dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-3-657dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
Figure data loading....