- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 47, Issue 3
f rRNA Sequences and Evolutionary Relationships among Toxic and Nontoxic Cyanobacteria of the Genus Microcystis
- Authors: Brett A. Neilan*, Daniel Jacobs, Del Dot Therese, Linda L. Blackall, Peter R. Hawkins, Peter T. Cox, Amanda E. Goodman
- *Corresponding author. Phone: 612 385 2092. Fax: 612 313 6528. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- First Published Online: 01 July 1997, International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 47: 693-697, doi: 10.1099/00207713-47-3-693
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Issue Published:
A primary-structure analysis of the 16S rRNA gene was performed with 10 strains representing five described and one unidentified species of the genus Microcystis. The phylogenies determined illustrate the evolutionary affiliations among Microcystis strains, other cyanobacteria, and related plastids and bacteria. A cluster of 10 strains that included hepatotoxic isolates identified as Microcystis aeruginosa formed a monophyletic group. However, the genus Microcystis appeared to be polyphyletic and contained two strains that clustered with unicellular cyanobacteria belonging to the genus Synechococcus. The clustering of related Microcystis strains, including strains involved in the production of the cyclic peptide toxin microcystin, was consistent with cell morphology, gas vacuolation, and the low G+C contents of the genomes. The Microcystis lineage was also distinct from the lineage containing the unicellular genus Synechocystis and the filamentous, heterocyst-forming genus Nostoc. The secondary structure of a Microcystis 16S rRNA molecule was determined, and genus-specific sequence signatures were used to design primers that permitted identification of the potentially toxic cyanobacteria belonging to the genus Microcystis via DNA amplification.
Copyright © 1997 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-3-693dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-3-693dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
Figure data loading....