- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 47, Issue 3
f Bogoriella caseilytica gen. nov., sp. nov., a New Alkaliphilic Actinomycete from a Soda Lake in Africa
- Authors: Ingrid Groth*, P. Schumann, F. A. Rainey, Karin Martin, Barbara Schuetze, K. Augsten
- *Corresponding author. Mailing address: Hans-Knöll-Institut für Naturstoff-Forschung, Beutenbergstrasse 11, D-07745 Jena, Germany. Phone: 049-3641-656666. Fax: 049-3641-656600. E-mail: email@example.com.
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, July 1997 47: 788-794, doi: 10.1099/00207713-47-3-788
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Published Online:
A new gram-positive, alkaliphilic, nonsporulating, rod-shaped bacterium is described. The organism was isolated from soda soil (Lake Bogoria, Kenya) and has the following characteristics. It is nonmotile, not acid fast, halotolerant, and microaerophilic, and optimal growth occurs at pH values between 9 and 10. The peptidoglycan type is of type A4α, with lysine as the characteristic diamino acid and glutamic acid as a component of the interpeptide bridge. The major menaquinone is MK-8(H4). The polar lipids are phosphatidylglycerol, diphosphatidylglycerol, phosphatidylinositol, and an unknown phospholipid. 12-Methyltetradecanoic acid is the predominant fatty acid. The G+C content of the DNA is 70 mol%. The results of 16S ribosomal DNA sequence comparisons revealed that strain HKI 0088T represents a new lineage in the order Actinomycetales. Therefore, we concluded that strain HKI 0088T should be assigned to a new genus and species, for which we propose the name Bogoriella caseilytica gen. nov., sp. nov. The type strain and only strain of this genus and species is HKI 0088 (= DSM 11294).
Copyright © 1997 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-3-788dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-3-788dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
Figure data loading....