- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 47, Issue 4
f A Proposal To Revive the Genus Kitasatospora (Omura, Takahashi, Iwai, and Tanaka 1982)
- Authors: Zhenshui Zhang, Yue Wang*, Jisheng Ruan
- *Corresponding author. Mailing address:Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology National University of Singapore, 10 Kent Ridge Crescent, Singapore 119260. Phone: 65 7783207. Fax: 65 7791117. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, October 1997 47: 1048-1054, doi: 10.1099/00207713-47-4-1048
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Published Online:
We determined almost complete 16S ribosomal DNA sequences for 12 actinomycete strains which were either previously classified as Kitasatospora strains or defined as Streptomyces strains but shown to contain major Amounts of meso-diaminopimelic acid in their whole-cell hydrolysates. These sequences were subjected to phylogenetic analyses together with the sequences of 34 Streptomyces species. Phylogenetic trees were reconstructed by using both neighbor-joining and maximum-parsimony methods. The Kitasatospora species always formed a stable monophyletic clade. However, the genus Kitasatospora appeared to be either a sister taxon of the genus Streptomyces or a lineage that originated from within Streptomyces species, depending on the outgroup used. Phylogenetic trees were also constructed by using the sequences of the 16S-23S rRNA gene spacers. Sereptomyces and Kitasatospora species were consistently recovered as two distinct clades independent of the outgroup used. On the basis of phylogenetic, chemotaxonomic, and phenotypic evidence, we propose that the genus Kitasatospora Omura et al. 1982 should be revived.
Copyright © 1997 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-4-1048dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-4-1048dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
Figure data loading....