- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 47, Issue 4
f Occurrence of Multiple Genomovars of Burkholderia cepacia in Cystic Fibrosis Patients and Proposal of Burkholderia multivorans sp. nov.
- Authors: P. Vandamme*, B. Holmes, M. Vancanneyt, T. Coenye, B. Hoste, R. Coopman, H. Revets, S. Lauwers, M. Gillis, K. Kersters, J. R. W. Govan
- *Corresponding author. Mailing address:Laboratorium voor Microbiologie, Ledeganckstraat 35, B-9000 Ghent, Belgium. Phone: (32)9.264.51.13. Fax: (32)9.264.50.92. E-mail: Peter.Vandamme@rug.ac.be.
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, October 1997 47: 1188-1200, doi: 10.1099/00207713-47-4-1188
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Published Online:
We performed an integrated genotypic and phenotypic analysis of 128 strains of the genera Burkholderia, Ralstonia, and Pseudomonas in order to study the taxonomic structure of Burkholderia cepacia and its relationships with other Burkholderia species. Our data show that presumed B. cepacia strains isolated from cystic fibrosis patients belong to at least five distinct genomic species, one of which was identified as Burkholderia vietnamiensis. This group of five phenotypically similar species is referred to as the B. cepacia complex. The name Burkholderia multivorans is proposed for one of these genomic species, which was formerly referred to as B. cepacia genomovar II; the remaining B. cepacia groups are referred to as genomovars I, III, and IV, pending additional differential phenotypic tests. The role and pathogenic potential of each of these taxa, particularly in view of the potentially fatal infections in cystic fibrosis patients, need further evaluation. The data presented also demonstrate that Pseudomonas glathei and Pseudomonas pyrrocinia should be reclassified as Burkholderia species.
Copyright © 1997 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the International Union of Microbiological Societies
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-4-1188dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-4-1188dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
Figure data loading....