- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 47, Issue 4
f Mycoplasma lagogenitalium sp. nov., from the Preputial Smegma of Afghan Pikas (Ochotona rufescens rufescens)
- Authors: Hideki Kobayashi*, Martin Runge, Rosemarie Schmidt, Masanori Kubo, Koshi Yamamoto, Helga Kirchhoff
- *Corresponding author. Phone: (81) 298-38-7739. Fax: (81) 298-38-7740. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, October 1997 47: 1208-1211, doi: 10.1099/00207713-47-4-1208
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Published Online:
Organisms with characteristics typical of mycoplasmas were isolated from the preputial smegma of Afghan picas (Ochotona rufescens rufescens). The results of growth inhibition tests, metabolic inhibition tests, and immunobinding assays showed that the isolated strains were identical and that they were distinct from previously described Mycoplasma, Entomoplasma, Mesoplasma, and Acholeplasma species. These organisms represent a new species, for which the name Mycoplasma lagogenitalium is proposed. M. lagogenitalium ferments glucose, does not hydrolyze arginine or urea, reduces tetrazolium chloride, possesses phosphatase activity, does not digest gelatin or casein, and does not produce films or spots. It lyses sheep erythrocytes and does not adsorb sheep, rabbit, or horse erythrocytes. Cholesterol or serum is required for growth. The growth temperature is 37°C. The guanine-plus-cytosine content of the DNA is 23.0 ± 1.0 mol%. The type strain is M. lagogenitalium 12MS (= ATCC 700289T).
Copyright © 1997 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the International Union of Microbiological Societies
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-4-1208dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-4-1208dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
Figure data loading....