- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 47, Issue 4
f Characterization of Borrelia lusitaniae sp. nov. by 16S Ribosomal DNA Sequence Analysis
- Authors: Anne Le Fleche, Daniele Postic*, Karine Girardet, Olivier Peter, Guy Baranton
- *Corresponding author. Mailing address:Unite de Bacteriologie Moléculaire et Médicale, Institut Pasteur. 28 rue du Docteur Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France. Phone: 33 1 45 68 83 37. Fax: 33 1 40 61 30 01. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, October 1997 47: 921-925, doi: 10.1099/00207713-47-4-921
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Published Online:
We determined the complete sequence of the rrs gene from five strains of genomic species PotiB2. Both distance and parsimony methods were used to infer the evolutionary relationships of the rrs gene sequence of this genomic species in comparison with the rrs gene sequence of Borrelia valaisiana and the rrs gene sequences of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato species obtained from sequence databases. The phylogenetic analysis revealed that the genomic species PotiB2 strains clustered in a separate lineage, which was consistent with data from previous DNA-DNA hybridization experiments (D. Postic, M. V. Assous, P. A. D. Grimont, and G. Baranton, Int. J. Syst. Bacteriol. 44:743–752, 1994). A PCR-restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis was used to identify genomic species PotiB2 and to differentiate it from B. burgdorferi sensu lato species. Moreover, signature nucleotide positions were identified for each B. burgdorferi sensu lato species. In accordance with DNA relatedness values, our findings suggest that genomic species PotiB2 can be more clearly defined and identified, and we propose that it should be referred to as a new species, Borrelia lusitaniae. The type strain is PotiB2.
Copyright © 1997 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-4-921dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-4-921dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
Figure data loading....