- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 47, Issue 4
f Helicobacter salomonis sp. nov., a Canine Gastric Helicobacter sp. Related to Helicobacter felis and Helicobacter bizzozeronii
- Authors: Katri Jalava*, M. Kaartinen, M. Utriainen, I. Happonen, M.-L. Hänninen
- *Corresponding author. Mailing address:Department of Food and Environmental Hygiene, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Helsinki, P.O. Box 57, FIN-00014 Helsinki University, Finland. Phone: 358-9-70849705. Fax: 358-9-70849718. E-mail: Katri.Jalava@Helsinki.fi.
- First Published Online: 01 October 1997, International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 47: 975-982, doi: 10.1099/00207713-47-4-975
- Subject: Original Papers Relating To Systematic Bacteriology
- Issue Published:
During a study of the prevalence and distribution of gastric helicobacters in domestic pets, a novel group of Helicobacter-like organisms were identified. These “Helicobacter group 2 strains were initially distinguished from the species Helicobacter felis and Helicobacter bizzozeronii by their cellular morphology and the type of motility exhibited. Bacterial cells were only slightly spiral, 5 to 7 μm long, and 0.8 to 1.2 μm wide and showed an unusual slow wavelike motion. Each cell had tufts of sheathed flagella at one or both ends. Phylogenetic analysis by 16S ribosomal DNA sequence comparison revealed that H. felis, H. bizzozeronii, “Gastrospirillum hominis” 2, and the new group of helicobacters formed a distinct cluster with intraspecies similarity values of more than 98%. These taxa were clearly separated from all other known Helicobacter species. Dot blot DNA-DNA hybridization studies indicated that the Helicobacter group 2 strains are genetically homogeneous and distinct from other canine and feline gastric helicobacters. Quantitative DNA-DNA hybridization experiments showed that Helicobacter group 2 strains exhibit >;90% DNA homology to each other, but <39% homology to the phylogenetically related taxa H. felis and H. bizzozeronii. We propose the name Helicobacter salomonis for the novel Helicobacter group 2 strains. The type strain is H. salomonis Inkinen (= CCUG 37845).
Copyright © 1997 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-4-975dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-47-4-975dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
Figure data loading....