- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 48, Issue 2
f Burkholderia graminis sp. nov., a rhizospheric Burkholderia species, and reassessment of [Pseudomonas] phenazinium, [Pseudomonas] pyrrocinia and [Pseudomonas] glathei as Burkholderia
- Authors: Véronique Viallard, Isabelle Poirier, Benoit Cournoyer, Jacqueline Haurat, Sue Wiebkin, Kathy Ophel-Keller, Jacques Balandreau
- Author for correspondence: Véronique Viallard. Tel: +33 4 72 44 80 00. Fax: +33 4 72 43 12 23. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- First Published Online: 01 April 1998, International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 48: 549-563, doi: 10.1099/00207713-48-2-549
- Subject: Systematic Bacteriology
- Issue Published:
In a survey of soil and wheat or maize rhizoplane bacteria isolated using a medium containing azelaic acid and tryptamine as sole carbon and nitrogen sources, respectively, a large proportion of Burkholderia-like bacteria were found. Among them, a homogeneous group of strains was identifiable based on phenotypic properties, fatty acid composition, DNA-DNA hybridizations and 16S rDNA sequences. According to molecular data, this group belongs to the genus Burkholderia but its weak similarity to previously described species suggests that it belongs to a novel species. Closest 16S rDNA phylogenetic neighbours of this species are Burkholderia caryophylli and two previously named Pseudomonas species which clearly appear to be part of the Burkholderia genus and were thus named Burkholderia glathei comb. nov. and Burkholderia phenazinium comb. nov. Strains of the new species are oxidase-and catalase-positive, produce indole and gelatinase, and use L-xylose, lactose, rhamnose, trehalose, D-lyxose, L-arabitol, xylitol and D-raffinose as sole carbon source. This novel taxon is named Burkholderia graminis. In the course of this study, [Pseudomonas] pyrrocinia also proved to be a member of the Burkholderia genus.
The GenBank accession numbers for the sequences reported in this paper are U96927-U96941.
- Keyword(s): genotypic analysis, Burkholderia graminis sp. nov., genus Burkholderia, phenotypic analysis
© 1998, International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-48-2-549dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-48-2-549dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
Figure data loading....