- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 49, Issue 1
f Roseovarius tolerans gen. nov., sp. nov., a budding bacterium with variable bacteriochlorophyll a production from hypersaline Ekho Lake
- Authors: Matthias Labrenz, M. David Collins, Paul A. Lawson, Brian J. Tindall, Peter Schumann, Peter Hirsch
- Author for correspondence: Peter Hirsch. Tel: +49 431 880 4340. Fax: +49 431 880 2194. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, January 1999 49: 137-147, doi: 10.1099/00207713-49-1-137
- Subject: New Taxa - Proteobacteria
- Published Online:
Eight Gram-negative, aerobic, pointed and budding bacteria were isolated from various depths of the hypersaline, heliothermal and meromictic Ekho Lake (Vestfold Hills, East Antarctica). The cells contained storage granules and daughter cells could be motile. Bacteriochlorophyll a was sometimes produced but production was repressed by constant dim light. The strains tolerated a wide range of temperature, pH, concentrations of artificial seawater and NaCI, but had an absolute requirement for sodium ions. Glutamate was metabolized with and without an additional source of combined nitrogen. The dominant fatty acid was C18:1; other characteristic fatty acids were C18:2, C12:0 2-OH, C12:1 3-OH, C16:1′ C16:0 and C18:0. The main polar lipids were diphosphatidylglycerol, phosphatidylethanolamine, phosphatidylglycerol and phosphatidylcholine. The DNA G+C base composition was 62--64 mol%. 16S rRNA gene sequence comparisons showed that the isolates were phylogenetically close to the genera Antarctobacter, ‘Marinosulfonomonas’, Octadecabacter, Sagittula, Sulfitobacter and Roseobacter. Morphological, physiological and genotypic differences to these previously described and distinct genera support the description of a new genus and a new species, Roseovarius tolerans gen. nov., sp. nov. The type strain is EL-172T(= DSM 11457T).
The EMBL accession number for the 16S rRNA sequence of strain EL-172Treported in this paper is Y11551.
- Keyword(s): Roseovarius gen. nov., α-Proteobacteria, Antarctica, Roseovarius tolerans sp. nov., bacteriochlorophyll a
© 1999, International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-49-1-137dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-49-1-137dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
Figure data loading....