- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 49, Issue 1
f Rubrimonas cliftonensis gen. nov., sp. nov., an aerobic bacteriochlorophyll-containing bacterium isolated from a saline lake
- Authors: Tomonori Suzuki, Yasutaka Muroga, Manabu Takahama, Tsuneo Shiba, Yukimasa Nishimura
- Author for correspondence: Tomonori Suzuki. Tel: +81 471 24 1501. Fax: +81 471 23 9767. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, January 1999 49: 201-205, doi: 10.1099/00207713-49-1-201
- Subject: New Taxa - Proteobacteria
- Published Online:
Phenotypic and phylogenetic studies were performed with two strains (OCh 317Tand OCh 318; T = type strain) of aerobic chemoheterotrophic bacteriochlorophyll-containing bacteria isolated from water of a saline lake located on the west coast of Australia. Both strains were Gram-negative, short rods and were motile by means of polar flagella. Catalase, oxidase, nitrate reductase, phosphatase and urease were produced. The cells utilized d-glucose, citrate, glycolate, pyruvate and ethanol. Acids were produced from l-arabinose, d-fructose, d-galactose, d-glucose, d-ribose and d-xylose. The strains could grow in media containing 0.5--7.5% NaCl. Bacteriochlorophyll a was synthesized under aerobic conditions. The results of 16S rRNA gene sequence comparisons revealed that strain OCh 317Trepresented a new lineage in the α-3 group of the class Proteobacteria. Strains OCh 317Tand OCh 318 were identified as strains of the same species because of their very similar phenotypic characteristics and their previously described high DNA-DNA homology. Therefore, it was concluded that the two strains should be assigned to a new genus and species, for which the name Rubrimonas cliftonensis is proposed. The type strain is OCh 317T(= JCM 10189T).
The DDBJ accession number for the 16S rRNA gene sequence of strain OCh 317T is D85834.
- Keyword(s): Rubrimonas cliftonensis, aerobic bacteriochlorophyll-containing bacteria, 16S rRNA, saline lake
© 1999, International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-49-1-201dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-49-1-201dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
Figure data loading....