- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 49, Issue 2
f A re-evaluation of the taxonomy of Paracoccus denitrificans and a proposal for the combination Paracoccus pantotrophus comb. nov.
- Authors: Frederick A. Rainey, Donovan P. Kelly, Erko Stackebrandt, Jutta Burghardt, Akira Hiraishi, Yoko Katayama, Ann P. Wood
- Author for correspondence: Donovan P. Kelly. Tel: +44 1203 572907. Fax: +44 1203 523701. e-mail: email@example.com
- First Published Online: 01 April 1999, International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 49: 645-651, doi: 10.1099/00207713-49-2-645
- Subject: New Taxa - Proteobacteria
- Issue Published:
Comparison of both 16S rRNA coding sequences and DNA-DNA hybridization of ten strains of α-subclass of Proteobacteria currently classified as strains of Paracoccus denitrificans has shown that they fall into two groups which are distinct from each other at the species level. Comparison with published data on the cytochrome c profiles and other 16S rRNA coding sequences in the literature has confirmed these observations and enabled several other strains also to be assigned to these two groups. Group A comprises strains ATCC 17741T(the type strain of P. denitrificans), LMD 22.21T, DSM 413T, ATCC 19367, ATCC 13543, DSM 1404, DSM 1405, Pd 1222 (a genetic modification of DSM 413T) and NCIMB 8944. Group B comprises ATCC 35512T(the original type strain of Thiosphaera pantotropha), LMD 82.5T, LMD 92.63, DSM 65, LMG 4218, IAM 12479, JCM 6892, DSM 11072, DSM 11073 and DSM 11104. In light of these findings, it is proposed that: (1) strains of group A are retained as P. denitrificans, with ATCC 17741Tas the type strain of the type species; and (2) all strains of group B are assigned to the new species combination Paracoccus pantotrophus comb. nov., with strain ATCC 35512Tas the type strain. Comparative 16S rRNA sequence analysis and DNA-DNA hybridization of strains of Paracoccus versutus confirm that this species is distinct from both P. denitrificans and P. pantotrophus, but that its nearest phylogenetic neighbour is P. pantotrophus.
The EMBL accession numbers for the 16S rRNA gene sequences reported in this paper are given in Table 1.
- Keyword(s): Paracoccus pantotrophus, DNA-DNA hybridization, Thiosphaera, Paracoccus denitrificans, 16S rRNA gene sequencing
© 1999, International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-49-2-645dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-49-2-645dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
Figure data loading....