- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 49, Issue 2
f Burkholderia caribensis sp. nov., an exopolysaccharide-producing bacterium isolated from vertisol microaggregates in Martinique
- Authors: Wafa Achouak, Richard Christen, Mohamed Barakat, Marie-Hélène Martel, Thierry Heulin
- Author for correspondence: Wafa Achouak. Tel: +33 4 42 25 49 61. Fax: +33 4 42 25 66 48. e-mail: email@example.com
- First Published Online: 01 April 1999, International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 49: 787-794, doi: 10.1099/00207713-49-2-787
- Subject: New Taxa - Proteobacteria
- Issue Published:
Twenty-one exopolysaccharide-producing strains were isolated from the 5--20 μm fraction of a vertisol in the south-east of the island of Martinique in the French West Indies. Although these strains were phenotypically identifie as Burkholderia cepacia or as Burkholderia glathei using BIOLOG microplates they did not cluster genotypically by amplified rDNA restriction analysis (ARDRA) with any described Burkholderia species. A phylogenetic analysis revealed that the rrs (16S rDNA) sequences of three representative strains clustered in a single branch within the genus Burkholderia and distantly fror all of the previously described species of Burkholderia for which rrs sequences were available. DNA-DNA hybridization data as well as phenotypic analyses indicated that the 21 isolates represented a single and new species for which the name Burkholderia caribensis sp. nov. is proposed (type strain MWAP64TLMG 18531T).
GenBank accession numbers for the rrs sequences reported in this paper are Y17009 (strain MWAP64T), Y17010 (strain MWAP71), Y17011 (strain MWAP84) and Y17052 (B. glathei strain LMG 14190T).
- Keyword(s): DNA-DNA hybridization, vertisol microaggregate, Burkholderia caribensis sp. nov., phenotypic analysis, rrs analysis
© 1999, International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-49-2-787dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-49-2-787dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
Figure data loading....