- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 49, Issue 3
f Streptococcus pluranimalium sp. nov., from cattle and other animals
- Authors: L. A. Devriese, P. Vandamme, M. D. Collins, N. Alvarez, B. Pot, J. Hommez, P. Butaye, F. Haesebrouck
- Author for correspondence: L. A. Devriese. Tel: +32 9 2647435. Fax: +32 9 2647494. e-mail: email@example.com
- First Published Online: 01 July 1999, International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 49: 1221-1226, doi: 10.1099/00207713-49-3-1221
- Subject: New Taxa - Gram-Positive Bacteria
- Issue Published:
Strains from subclinical mastitis, from the genital tract and tonsils of cattle, from tonsils of a goat and a cat and from the crop and the respiratory tract of canaries were found to constitute a new streptococcal species, for which the name Streptococcus pluranimalium sp. nov. is proposed. Sequencing of 16S rRNA showed that Streptococcus thoraltensis and Streptococcus hyovaginalis were its closest known phylogenetic relatives. The new species showed some phenotypic resemblance to the poorly described species Streptococcus acidominimus, but whole-cell protein analysis and 16S rRNA sequencing revealed that the new species was only distantly related to the type strain of S. acidominimus. Identification of these bacteria, which showed heterogeneous biochemical reaction patterns, was most reliably made by whole-cell protein analysis. Nevertheless, a number of biochemical reactions can be used to differentiate S. pluranimalium from other animal streptococci. Strain LMG 14177T, isolated from mastitic milk of a dairy cow, was designated as the type strain of S. pluranimalium sp. nov.
The GenBank accession number for the 16S rRNA sequence of Streptococcus pluranimalium sp. nov. strain LMG 141771 is Y18026.
Copyright © 1999 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-49-3-1221dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-49-3-1221dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost104
Figure data loading....