- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 49, Issue 3
f Note: Studies on the phylogenetic relationships of melanogenic marine bacteria: Proposal of Marinomonas mediterranea sp. nov.
- Authors: Francisco Solano, Antonio Sanchez-Amat
- Author for correspondence: Antonio Sanchez-Amat. Tel: +34 968 364955. Fax: +34 968 363963. e-mail: email@example.com
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, July 1999 49: 1241-1246, doi: 10.1099/00207713-49-3-1241
- Subject: New Taxa - Proteobacteria
- Published Online:
The polyphenol oxidase (PPO) activities of the marine melanogenic strains MMB-1T and 2–40 were compared. Both contained a multifunctional PPO able to oxidize a wide range of substrates. In spite of this similarity, phylogenetic studies based on 16S rRNA sequences showed that these strains are not closely related. Strain 2–40 is not related to any previously described genus. On the basis of these studies and morphological and physiological characteristics, it is proposed that strain MMB-1T (= CECT 4803T = ATCC 700492T) represents a new species in the genus Marinomonas, Marinomonas mediterranea sp. nov.
The GenBank accession numbers for the 16S rRNA sequences of strains MMB-1T (complete) and 2–40 (first 519 nucleotides) are AF063027 and AF063028.
- Keyword(s): polyphenol oxidases, Melanin, strain MMB-1T, Marinomonas mediterranea sp. nov., strain 2–40
Copyright © 1999 International Union of Microbiological Societies | Published by the Microbiology Society
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-49-3-1241dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-49-3-1241dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
Figure data loading....