- International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Volume 49, Issue 4
f Gordonia polyisoprenivorans sp. nov., a rubber-degrading actinomycete isolated from an automobile tyre
- Authors: Alexandros Linos, Alexander Steinbüchel, Cathrin Spröer, Reiner M. Kroppenstedt
- Author for correspondence: Reiner M. Kroppenstedt. Tel: +49 531 2616 227. Fax: +49 531 2616 418. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, October 1999 49: 1785-1791, doi: 10.1099/00207713-49-4-1785
- Subject: New Taxa - Gram-Positive Bacteria
- Published Online:
A rubber-degrading bacterium (strain Kd21) was isolated from fouling tyre water inside a deteriorated automobile tyre. The strain was aerobic, Grampositive, produced elementary branching hyphae which fragmented into rod/coccus-like elements and showed chemotaxonomic markers which were consistent with the classification of Gordonia, i.e. meso-diaminopimelic acid, N-glycolyl muramic acid, arabinose and galactose as diagnostic sugars, a fatty acid pattern composed of unbranched saturated and monounsaturated fatty acids with a considerable amount of tuberculostearic acid, and mycolic acids comprising 58-66 carbon atoms with two principal mycolic acids C60 and C62 counting for over 60%. Results of 16S rDNA analyses as well as chemotaxonomic results, led to the conclusion that Gordonia sp. strain Kd2T (= DSM 44302T) represents a new species within the genus Gordonia for which the name Gordonia polyisoprenivorans is proposed.
The EMBL accession number for the 16S rDNA sequence of strain Kd2T is Y18310.
© 1999 International Union of of Microbiological Societies | Published by the International Union of Microbiological Societies
Full text loading...
Author and Article Information
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-49-4-1785dcterms_title,dcterms_subject,pub_serialTitlepub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
/content/journal/ijsem/10.1099/00207713-49-4-1785dcterms_title,dcterms_subject-pub_serialIdent:journal/ijsem AND -contentType:BlogPost64
Figure data loading....